Michigan became the pioneer in leadership development when Michigan State University (MSU) teamed with the W.K. Kellogg Foundation in 1965 to create the Kellogg Young Farmer Study Program. The Michigan model spawned the creation of similar programs in 37 states and in five other countries that have influenced the development of more than 10,000 leaders. This phenomenal outcome creates the responsibility to ensure that an exemplary leadership development program remains available for this and future generations in Michigan.
Out of this legacy, the Great Lakes Leadership Academy (GLLA) was developed in 2004 by the MSU College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (CANR) and a diverse group of stakeholders to empower facilitative leaders who will propel Michigan forward toward economic and environmental vitality.
In 2012, GLLA launched a major endowment campaign dedicated to the continuous development of leaders for the common good. This legacy of leadership development is not a legacy if it does not endure so that all generations may benefit.
Your support of the campaign to complete the Great Lakes Leadership Academy Endowment will help build it to $2.5 million. At that level, it is expected to generate $125,000 annually to support operational costs of the GLLA programs. This is in addition to funding from participant tuition and an ongoing commitment from the MSU CANR to support GLLA staffing. The GLLA Board of Governors, working in concert with the CANR Office of External Relations, is committed to fulfilling this campaign by December, 2014.
Several organizations, individuals, and GLLA Alumni have already made their pledge to the Endowment Campaign and we are very thankful for their support. Please help us complete our campaign and let us add your name to the list.
- Great Lakes Fishery Trust
- Greenstone Farm Credit Services
- Land O’ Lakes
- Michigan Cherry Committee
- Michigan Corn Marketing Program
- Michigan Farm Bureau
- Michigan Floriculture Growers Council
- Michigan Milk Producers Association
- Michigan Pork Producers Association
- Michigan State Horticultural Society
- Michigan Vegetable Council
- Michigan Wheat Program
- North Central Co-Op/CoBank
- Star of the West Milling
- The Hal & Jean Glassen Memorial Foundation
- Timber Forest Products
- United Dairy Industries of Michigan
- W.K. Kellogg Foundation
- GLLA Alumni
- Kellogg Young Farmer Study Program Alumni
- Michigan Agriculturre Leadership Program Alumni
- Several Individuals